07 April 2012

Easter in England

It is Easter weekend and I'm thrilled to spend this holiday in England. The college is closed and it is extremely quiet around the campus, so I am using this time to unpack, study, and explore my new surroundings.  


England is full of Easter traditions, so I thought I would share just a few.  Although England is a "Christian" nation, many do not understand fully the significance of the Easter weekend. 


Yesterday was Good Friday and there are various ways of celebrating this day which commemorates Christ's death on the cross. Many village churches held the "Walk of Witness" yesterday, a silent journey through the streets holding crosses, ending in a Good Friday service at a local church. Since Easter is a "bank holiday" weekend (many businesses are closed both Friday & Monday) and people are out & about shopping and visiting family. I heard a radio interviewer asking shoppers if they knew what the significance was of the others walking through the streets with crosses. The common answer? "It has something to do with Easter," but no one asked knew the true meaning. 


"Hot Cross Buns" are baked and meant to be eaten on Good Friday in order to break the Lenten fast of the last 40 days. This yeasty roll has a cross cut in the top before baking, which is filled with confectionery sugar when out of the oven.


In the town of Retford, where I will be living, a traditional Easter egg hunt was held yesterday, and children got involved in the activities. Chocolate eggs are more popular than real hard-boiled eggs in England (Cadbury is an English company!) and more than 80 million eggs will be purchased for Easter! There are also still places where the community holds an "Egg Roll" on Easter Monday, where hard-boiled eggs are rolled down a hill. The one to roll to the bottom without cracking is the winner. (I think I need to find a place and see this in person!)


On Sunday I will make my way to a Resurrection Celebration service at New Life Church (an Assemblies of God church) in Retford. Many people use this day to dress up, spend time with family & friends. However, for believers, it is a time to recognize the significance of Christ's death & resurrection. Because he came to earth, died for our sins, we are reconciled to God. I am thankful that Christ has Risen!
On Easter Monday, I'll find myself with the Jenkins family for a walk & picnic in Clumber Park. I'll post pictures after our journey. Steven, Debora, Aaron and Caleb will be my guides through this beautiful park. Steven is the Student Life Director at Mattersey, so I will be working under his leadership for the next four years. His wife is originally from New Jersey. 


Happy Easter, friends.
He is Risen! He is risen indeed!


Enjoy this classic Keith Green song: The Easter Song.

No comments: