07 August 2007

Something to do with my time...


Since life is so dull (ha!), I've decided to fill my free time with trying to learn how to switch from 15 years of being a PC user to the world of Apple. Last month, after many months of frustration caused by 2 PC crashes and various other problems, I purchased my very first Mac. Now, if anyone has free time that they can spare to give me advice on how to move my documents over, install my favorite programs, and other fun-filled activities, give me a shout! Hopefully this tool will make this missionary more productive and creative....two things that I like doing.

I hope you are happy, Don Martin! You have another convert.

1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

hey, I have a mac and have a tendency to find people in need of computer help...so, any specific questions? ;) lol, your mac will help you in being able to be productive & creative faster, but I'm not sure it can accomplish those things on its own.

moving your documents over: when I switched, I moved everything I really wanted to an external harddrive, then just copied it to my mac. or you can e-mail the documents to yourself (headache), or put them on cds and transfer them. I believe there is some kind of program out there that is supposed to transfer stuff really fast, but the external worked very well for me (& still works when I need to transfer stuff back and forth).

install your favorite programs...I wouldn't be much help there. But in any case, if you are talking about windows programs you can go to the Apple website and download bootcamp & read their manual on it. I did so about 3 months ago because I wanted a specific game, but I got fed up w/ the windows on my mac very quickly & deleted my window's partition.

You probably know mac has its own version (put out by microsoft) of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Entourage (sort of like Outlook Express). They work even better than their window's counterparts, and are well worth the money.

fun-filled activities? :). hehe. right. anyway, on the apple website you can download things called Widgets which can do absolutely everything, and some of their games are a lot of fun. my favorite free mac game so far though is CocoaMadRace (http://www.itonio.com/Games.html). It's just a simple racing game w/ you against the other players... not very intelligent, but what do we play computer games for anyway? ;).

drop me a note if there's anything I can help w/.

Mary Jones